Author Topic: OP2 Update Wishlist  (Read 26119 times)

Offline Leviathan

OP2 Update Wishlist
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2004, 03:13:08 AM »
dont worry it will be fine next update.

Offline Varmint264

OP2 Update Wishlist
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2004, 08:45:05 PM »
Hmmmm... a site with all the mods and upgrades and new map packs. A dedicated site. With a lot of variety in new colony games.

Offline nesfreak1

OP2 Update Wishlist
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2005, 04:04:52 AM »
how about some more colony games, the ones we have are getting on the old side
What does not kill you makes you stronger.

Offline coolzero

• http://www.trippyac.com
OP2 Update Wishlist
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2005, 05:28:15 AM »
AI AI AI AI AI AI AI AI unlitmeted by what you want and no ai that stays in 40 blocks of his command center but one that try's to kill you. and you should do a no war time so that you cant attack anybody for like 20min or 10 or 30 or 10000 hours

oh and 1 thing as far as i know in mp you start with a normal lab but you should have an option to start with a basic lab and very low tech just you start out in with nearly nothing
« Last Edit: March 05, 2005, 07:37:51 AM by Leviathan »
becous havning my signature 5720 characters long or so is a little crazy and hacker would prob del my signature again i diseded to make a pic of it ... this is acualy my name in letters highlighted. i just took a ss  :D

Offline Tellaris

OP2 Update Wishlist
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2005, 10:26:16 AM »
AI is actually quite unlimited for us.   Since its faked to hell and beyond, we have the option of making it as hard or easy as we please.   However, this can take a lot of codeing, and not everyone wants to do this.

Basic lab will not be added to multiplayer except on select maps.   It dosn't have any real purpose in multiplayer games these days, thus it will never be added.
Spell Checker!   The PoWeR tOoL
Click Here For Coolness
Self Proclaimed OPU Help desk.

Offline Oprime

• http://Moogleforest.net
OP2 Update Wishlist
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2005, 02:50:33 PM »
I've been thinking. On the Final Fantasy 11 site they have a feature that shows "live" images from the game on their main site. Would it be possible to add something to OP2 that allows a gamer to send a live screenshot while in battle? They could hit something like F7 for example and it Automaticly sends a screenshot to the OPU site.
CPU: AMD Phenom II 940BE
RAM: Patriot Viper 4GB (2GB x2) DDR2 1066Mhz
Motherboard: MSI K9A2 Platinum
Case: Thermaltake Armor Plus+
Power Supply: Themermatake ToughPower 1200Watt PSU
Hard Drive: Fujitsu 15k SAS SCSI 74GB/148GB Raid 0 @ 189MBps
Moniter: LG Flatron 20.1in Widescreen LCD 8ms 1400:1 Contrast ratio w/ F engine
GFX Card: 4 ATI Radeon 4870 1GB GDDR5 CrossFireX
DVD Burners: 2x SONY DVD-RW
Speakers[/b] Logitech Z-5500 505Watt 5.1 Surround
CPU Heatsink[/b]ZeroTerm NV120
OS[/b]Windows Vista Home Premium x64
:P I'm a Hardware freak ><

Offline Leviathan

OP2 Update Wishlist
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2005, 03:00:31 PM »
Basic lab...It dosn't have any real purpose in multiplayer games these days, thus it will never be added.
the glory of moding
people can add there own new research topics to stick in it.
and im sure theres more..

Prime this is possible to be coded, even in visual basic, take a screenshot, resize it, upload it to ftp sever. Its even possible - with the software i use to record games to send live video of some one playing via a video stream.

Offline Nightmare24148

OP2 Update Wishlist
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2005, 08:53:04 PM »
I am REALLY happy that we can make out own research projects...thats one of the best things...:D

^_^
I look to see, in the mirror.

All I see, is that he is me.

Offline neutrino

OP2 Update Wishlist
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2005, 11:50:35 AM »
I am against changing all values of buildings and units in Op2.

Sierra made up those settings quite well balanced. They should stay like they are.

Make new maps, improve the AI, yes. But not the buildings and units itself. Because people are gonna start asking settings only to please their way of gaming. And that is where OP2 is so great, you have to play the rules of a hard planet, of a poor human technology. Keep the game as pure as possible, in its philosophy. As I said, AI, maps, new missions, this is all great.

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
OP2 Update Wishlist
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2005, 12:14:51 PM »
I second that.

I'm used to the old values and still confused when playing with the new ones.
5 workers for a command center is just too much and 2 for a vec fac isn't enough. These settings might be perfect for pie-los, but they are crap on large maps in a resource race game.

Offline Leviathan

OP2 Update Wishlist
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2005, 12:17:39 PM »
yeah TH300 i did mess up a lot by changing the values, i wasnt thinking when i did it.

like i said in evac and trade center threads it will be changed back next update.

once again, sorry :P

Offline Nightmare24148

OP2 Update Wishlist
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2005, 09:26:25 AM »
I want to make it harder but also make it so you dont run out of research topics anytime soon. I want to make it worth it for constantly resarching tose 40 Scientist topics. Also I want to redo that guys mod to make more of the topics make sense...I dont remember Quantam Physics leading to nano technology.

^_^
I look to see, in the mirror.

All I see, is that he is me.

Offline Leviathan

OP2 Update Wishlist
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2005, 10:01:24 AM »
Nightmare maybe you can work on a mod to expand Op2, with researsh topics and stuff. It could make games be able to last for much longer.

Offline Sirbomber

OP2 Update Wishlist
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2005, 09:08:14 AM »
OP2 doesn't have an attack-move command, does it? That'd be nice. You know, you click the ground and the units move there, shooting any enemies in the way.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline Leviathan

OP2 Update Wishlist
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2005, 10:10:42 AM »
We wont be able to bring you that update Sirbomber, we simply cant edit the game engin like that.

Use patrol in game for move attack..

Offline Mez

OP2 Update Wishlist
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2005, 03:40:33 PM »
Sirbomber, just use the patrol command, start it at the current unit location and end it where u want them to finish up (or a bit further) u just gotta remember to cancel the patrol command when the vech are done.

Offline Stormy

• http://www.op3game.net
OP2 Update Wishlist
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2005, 11:25:06 PM »
I've been thinking. On the Final Fantasy 11 site they have a feature that shows "live" images from the game on their main site. Would it be possible to add something to OP2 that allows a gamer to send a live screenshot while in battle? They could hit something like F7 for example and it Automaticly sends a screenshot to the OPU site.
I like this idea! Lets look into this if its possible...
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·
3D artist in Blender, MS3D, and Terragen.
Trying to get good with Scene composition and lighting.

Offline Leviathan

OP2 Update Wishlist
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2005, 07:03:33 AM »
Yes its possible Stormy. I use screen capture software which can send out a live video feed. This uses lots of bandwidth of chorse tho.

As for screenshots, i gess a app could be made to take a screenshot from a game every few mins and upload it to the site and a thumbnail could be created and we could have a latest shots page.

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
OP2 Update Wishlist
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2005, 04:31:18 PM »
Yes its possible Stormy. I use screen capture software which can send out a live video feed. This uses lots of bandwidth of chorse tho.

As for screenshots, i gess a app could be made to take a screenshot from a game every few mins and upload it to the site and a thumbnail could be created and we could have a latest shots page.
Good idea. I think I'll add this feature to my screenshot utility

Offline zigzagjoe

OP2 Update Wishlist
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2005, 06:08:52 PM »
i suppose you could do somehting of the sort, but it certainly wouldnt be a integral part of op2. theres quite a bit of technical detail, and other crap if u want it to work elegantly.  

Offline Boomer

OP2 Update Wishlist
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2005, 11:09:18 PM »
How about a better control scheme. Easy to understand, more intuitive. The current one is less user-friendly than the original SimCity.

Offline coolzero

• http://www.trippyac.com
OP2 Update Wishlist
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2005, 09:17:43 AM »
how about intersepting all the data that goes in and out when you play mutlieplayer so you can make recordings...  
becous havning my signature 5720 characters long or so is a little crazy and hacker would prob del my signature again i diseded to make a pic of it ... this is acualy my name in letters highlighted. i just took a ss  :D

Offline thablkpanda

OP2 Update Wishlist
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2005, 07:55:17 PM »
I imagine that'd take some time. And cause some lag in multiplayer games. I'm not a coder so I wouldn't know..

Logic.
Panda.

Offline Hooman

• Administrator
OP2 Update Wishlist
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2005, 09:44:47 PM »
We're actually keeping an eye on the idea of recording and playing back games. There is still some uncertainty about whether current ideas would/should work, so it might not happen for a while, but this does seem to be a possibility. There shouldn't really be any noticable lag caused by recording, nor heavy disk space requirements, but the game also isn't built for playback and recording, so any such system might be a bit clunky.

For instance, what if you're watching a recorded game and click on a building and try to issue a new command? Surely this sort of thing should be blocked if you want accurate playback. It'd be kinda annoying if you did something by accident and your whole playback got messed up because of it. On the other hand, it might be interesting to explore a bit of a "what if" scenario. Of course you could experience playback from another person's perspective, and thus be unable to issue commands. But then you also couldn't check on building status, such as research progress, or vehicle/structure kit building progress.

Also, there is the whole issue of interfacing the playback and recording with the game. How do you start it? Save recorded games? Start playback? Even if we have the technical knowledge to record actions in the game, and replay them, I wouldn't exactly know how to incorporate controls for such a system into the game. (I'm not really sure how the menu system works for one thing, so don't just go asking me to add new menu options).

But yes, I still like the idea of some sort of recording and playback.

The attack move command idea is also nice, but doesn't seem to be feasible. Changing unit behavior isn't really such an easy thing to do. At least not in most cases. Minor tweaks, were the old code is still used might be possible, but this is too high level of a change. But yes, it's nice to have this under consideration if some increase in knowlege changes the reality of this.

Offline dm-horus

• Banned
OP2 Update Wishlist
« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2005, 09:29:18 PM »
STUPID QUESTION:

How hard would it be to set up a server to host online games? Im not ignorant of the work that would be involved, im simply curious. Please be kind.