Author Topic: Dan Duncalf  (Read 10740 times)

Offline Larrythepoet

Dan Duncalf
« on: February 21, 2010, 06:47:16 PM »
So I was reading Spikerocks101's topic about asking for the source code, and I got thinking. The lead programmer was Dan Duncalf, so I searched him on Facebook and he has a profile, http://www.facebook.com/search/?q=dan+dunc...9.3614648300..1 . Now, I think there's a good chance the lead programmer may have the source code. I'm considering trying to contact him, any thoughts?
No.

Offline Sirbomber

Dan Duncalf
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 07:50:30 PM »
We have already.  If he has it, he's not giving it to us.
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Outpost 2 Coding 101 Tutorials

Offline CK9

• Administrator
    • http://www.outpost2.net/~ck9
Dan Duncalf
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 10:08:59 AM »
We've had contact with a few of the people invloved with OP2, and noone is going to (freely) hand over the source code.
CK9 in outpost
Iamck in runescape (yes, I still play...sometimes...)
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...
xdarkinsidex on deviantart

yup, I have too many screen names

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
Dan Duncalf
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 11:54:42 AM »
Did anyone still have the source code ?
There can be Only one. Wipe Them out. All of Them.

Old player still playing. Visit Spark for a game of Outpost 2

Offline Simpsonboy77

Dan Duncalf
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 11:59:32 AM »
I think what was previously said was that after Dynamix or Sierra went under, the source code was destroyed before being bought out. I would give me first born for the source, but I don't think its possible. MAYBE there is a slight chance that there is some non final source, like a beta.

NOTE: my sources are 3rd person, I read it in a thread on here. Use the search if you want.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 12:00:06 PM by Simpsonboy77 »
My tutorials
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Offline Sirbomber

Dan Duncalf
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 12:02:34 PM »
I would give me first born for the source
Yikes, that's a bit extreme, don't you think?  :P  
"As usual, colonist opinion is split between those who think the plague is a good idea, and those who are dying from it." - Outpost Evening Star

Offline Kayedon

Dan Duncalf
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 01:56:24 PM »
I would give me first born for the source
Yikes, that's a bit extreme, don't you think?  :P
Nope.

Anyways, if you want to try (again), go ahead. I'd rather not go through the court battle.
"Trust me, I'm crazy."

Offline Larrythepoet

Dan Duncalf
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 03:15:08 PM »
Well, how hard would it be to remake outpost?
No.

Offline Sirbomber

Dan Duncalf
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 03:20:27 PM »
Very hard.

Edit: Look, we've had this conversation with hundreds of people.  We aren't getting the source code from anyone, and we aren't remaking it ourselves anytime soon.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 03:21:04 PM by Sirbomber »

Offline Hidiot

Dan Duncalf
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 03:41:11 PM »
How much would the source cost?  :whistle:  
"Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all"

Offline Spikerocks101

Dan Duncalf
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 03:53:31 PM »
If I was a multimillionaire who didn't give a s*** about money... I'd say 20,000$.
I AM YOUR PET ROCK!!!!!!

Offline Sirbomber

Dan Duncalf
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 04:02:22 PM »
We could always just summon Tankn[size=0] [/size]00b to go back in time, turn Dynamix in2 TE[size=0] [/size]H ME[size=0] [/size]S HA[size=0] [/size]L, and return to the present with the source.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Dan Duncalf
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 04:13:45 PM »
When it comes down to it, the main problem we have in remaking OP2 is that noone has the time or the drive to do it.
CK9 in outpost
srentiln in minecraft (I like legos, and I like computer games...it was only a matter of time...) and youtube...

Offline Larrythepoet

Dan Duncalf
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2010, 04:17:15 PM »
Personally, I would learn C++ if we were going to remake it...
No.

Offline TH300

• http://op3game.net
Dan Duncalf
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2010, 06:17:40 PM »
Even if Dan has the source, he has good reasons for not giving it to us: It is probably still protected by copyright which is owned by the company that owns Sierra. He could be sued, if he gave it away.

All we can do is rewrite it (or wait, till copyright expires, but that takes probably too long).
I'm for rewriting it. But then I don't have much spare time, and that is apparently true for all other opu-members, so it would take years if it would ever be done.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 06:19:59 PM by TH300 »

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Dan Duncalf
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2010, 06:51:29 PM »
recoding process:

step 1: organize the coders...that's a hard one
step 2: come up with functions and variables and agree on their usage...also hard
step 3: give each coder a unique task to be completed by a deadline...not as hard
step 4: put it all together and hope it runs the first time, as finding the bugs will be damn near impossible when you use multiple coders who don't like to document what everything they code does ... BRUTALLY HARD!
CK9 in outpost

Offline Sirbomber

Dan Duncalf
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2010, 07:03:25 PM »
step 4: put it all together and hope it runs the first time, as finding the bugs will be damn near impossible when you use multiple coders who don't like to document what everything they code does ... BRUTALLY HARD!
I like to document my stuff...  :(  

Offline Larrythepoet

Dan Duncalf
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2010, 08:07:07 PM »
Well, I'm going to start a poll.
No.

Offline Kayedon

Dan Duncalf
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2010, 05:44:04 PM »
I like to document my stuff...  :(
/* TanknOOb wuz heer */

(:

Who put TanknOOb (with 0's not O's) on the word filter?! D:
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 05:45:50 PM by Kayedon »
"Trust me, I'm crazy."

Offline Sirbomber

Dan Duncalf
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2010, 06:05:18 PM »
n0[size=0] [/size]0bman censored a lot of TE[size=0] [/size]EM ME[size=0] [/size]S HA[size=0] [/size]L's favorite words, but we've found ways to get around it.

Offline Larrythepoet

Dan Duncalf
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2010, 08:04:06 PM »
""First, I think your talking about forum.outpost2.net as part of outpostuniverse.net.   Dan's dog could produce more source code!  It's the umpteenth time I've been asked and I still don't have it.  And if I did have it... there are legal licensing issues, because I don't own it.  I'm certain some of the other board members know this as well.

I'm glad you guys like it, and its flattering that 13 years later you still care.  This is only the second game I've done that has had this loyal long lasting fan base.  Your efforts would be better spent on a new version, using current technologies, platforms, and API's.

Please post my response verbatim to the forum.

Best Regards,

-- Dan""

Well, that was freaking awesome, but seriously, even Dan said it would be a good idea to rewrite Outpost 2!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 08:05:44 PM by Larrythepoet »
No.

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Dan Duncalf
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2010, 08:57:30 PM »
correction, he said our time would be better spent making a rewrite than trying to get the source code.  Big difference :P
CK9 in outpost

Offline Simpsonboy77

Dan Duncalf
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2010, 09:02:03 PM »
The main question I want to know, what would you do once you have the source? I wouldn't want to change the game much, it's awesome as it is. It would make modding a hell of a lot easier, but we have a decent API and some knowledgeable users around here.

This is what I envision happening IF[/u] we got the source. Please note the "if". Topics will pop up like OMG SOURCE!!!!! Then after a month people won't know what to do with it. I wouldn't alter it, but rather look in it for things we never knew. Maybe get a laugh or 2 from some comical variable names.
My tutorials
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Offline Highlander

• Outpost 2 Elder
Dan Duncalf
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2010, 11:20:26 PM »
""..Dan's dog could produce more source code!  It's the umpteenth time I've been asked and I still don't have it...

-- Dan""
I'm just curious, what is the point of asking us our opinion about your ideas if your just gonna do the direct opposite ? (See first post)
You've already been told Dan didn't have the code.. And by now it looks like he's getting somewhat tired by the requests.

As you can see, people also lack the time to make a rewrite of the game code. Just listen to what the people here say, instead of blatantly ignoring it all the time.  
There can be Only one. Wipe Them out. All of Them.

Old player still playing. Visit Spark for a game of Outpost 2

Offline CK9

• Administrator
Dan Duncalf
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2010, 11:38:49 PM »
I have 2 theories at this point:

1) there is a strong desire to do something for the community
2) there is a strong desire to have an excuse to learn coding
CK9 in outpost